Everyone who grew up in the church knows they owe many a thanks to one of the ladies from the church. Either she taught you a life lesson that you’ll never forget, or she evoked a particular feeling within you that you’ll never forget. Below, I have listed the top lessons I’ve learned because of church ladies that makes these women unforgettable. And because I also work in the church, my connection to church ladies has extended far into my adulthood…and for that, I am grateful!
1. They ARE watching you! I had the privilege of also living with my grandmother-the ULTIMATE church lady. And if there’s one thing I learned it’s that they see everything and they are there, even when they’re not. And don’t think you’re pulling one over on a church lady—because she WILL figure it out!
2. Church ladies can cook! I love church ladies for their wisdom, etiquette and sense of humor. I also love the fact that they can cook. There is nothing greater than a church lady who likes to pay in food. 7-layer bars, pound cake, collard greens…you name it! There is some secret initiation into the Church Lady Club that requires them to throw down in the kitchen! And if you’re looking for a great gift idea for a church lady that you love: you can never go wrong with a new crock-pot!
3. They are always right…even when they’re wrong. I was in speech and debate during junior high school and I often prided myself in the level of conversation I had with people. Well, never make the mistake of trying out debate skills with an unsuspecting church lady. I got a lecture about ‘respecting my elders’ and I also had the privilege of going down to the church everyday for a week after school to help out with the church’s on-site feeding program. NEVER argue with a church lady—it will never be justified.
4. They have selective hearing. In reality, church ladies hear everything and sometimes pretend to not hear what’s not necessarily convenient for them to hear… Also, you should never accuse them of this.
5. Likewise, never upset a church lady! She will never forget it. You can be well into YOUR 60s, and I guarantee you, even in her 80s she will remember that thing you did!
6. They dress to impress…themselves! I’ve witnessed some of the most striking, stunning and shocking attire in my day. Thanks to a church lady. The elaborate Sunday hats that could be displayed at a museum; the flip-flops and house-coats at the grocery store; and the sneakers and track-suits… The beautiful thing every church lady has in common is that they know that at the end of the day, they can wear, AND DO whatever they want!
7. When you are asked to hold something -anything- you do it. For as long as you need to. The rewards are great. Remember: church ladies can cook; and they almost always have a single niece, nephew, or grandchild that they want to fix someone up with!
If you know a church lady, and you want to thank her, share this with her because she is AMAZING!!
(thank you church ladies)