I was floating in the pool on Saturday, practicing my newly learned basic synchro moves, and I was thinking about that magical pool party scene in Shrill. If you haven’t seen it, it’s pretty simple. Fat women, mostly in swimsuits, some in bikinis, having the time of their lives at a pool party. Simple, but … Continue reading Fat Girls at a Pool Party and How I Stopped Hating Myself
Since my son came into the world, the way I have come to experience love can only be described as transcendent. I have an expanded sense of self, and this expansiveness makes me feel infinitely more connected to the world. I now more fully comprehend an important truth from holy scripture: we are called to … Continue reading How Loving Our Children Calls Us To Love Everyone’s Children
1. His story never added up (ever), but I believe victims and knowing Jussie and what he has historically stood for I gave him the benefit of doubt.
2. We can hold Jussie accountable and still be allies to the causes he champions and the marginalized identities he represents.
3. Hate crimes against people of color and LGBTQIA+ are at an all time high in the era of MAGA; that fact doesn’t change because of one man’s possible abuse of that fact.
4. The Chicago Police Department (CPD) is corrupt, especially when it comes to black men; yes. But this corruption usually rears its ugly head when CPD is implicated in the crime. CPD didnt gain anything by falsifying information in this case where police were not involved in the attack. Sometimes people are just in the wrong. This will be on Jussie and Jussie alone if he is found guilty.
5. CPD (and police everywhere) should keep this same energy when white people call 911 and file false reports on unsuspecting black people just existing while black.
6. CPD should also dedicate these same resources (more than 20 detectives) to solving the more than 80% of unsolved murders in Chicago.
7. Not to play armchair shrink, but if Jussie’s injuries allegedly sustained during the attacked were instead self-inflicted as is being reported, Jussie needs a psych evaluation.
8. Even if those reports are unfounded, Jussie still might need a psych eval just because…
9. If the evidence against Jussie is too much to mount a successful defense, he’ll probably plead down to a lesser misdemeanor charge and get probation, but he’s going to have to pay some restitution to the City of Chicago.
10. White celebrities do stupid stuff like this all the time (see Ryan Lochte) and we celebrate them years later at the Oscars like it never happened. We also don’t jail them. Jussie is black and queer; he won’t enjoy that same kind of grace, but I hope he gets right with himself and comes back stronger than ever.
Recently a friend questioned how we understand rape in the Biblical texts, whether it is a sex act or an act of violence. This is a vital question because so often we gloss over sexual violence in our Sunday and Bible study readings without a second thought. Yet, as a people called by the Gospel—a … Continue reading How Do We Honor The Victims of Rape in the Bible
For parents who grew up evangelical, it can be quite the ethical conundrum to justify the moral values espoused by the current president of the United States, whom 81% of white evangelicals put into power, to our children—a president who publicly boasts of demeaning women, inciting violence against vulnerable people, is arrogant, dishonest, lacks empathy, … Continue reading To Parent Forward is to Reject the Evangelicalism of my Childhood
An all-powerful being sacrifices his beloved child to death and by doing so unlocks the power to “save” the world. Um…where have we heard this story before? Young people scared shitless that they aren’t going to be saved from the wrath of an all-powerful being? If you don’t know…you and I clearly grew up at … Continue reading Avengers Infinity War Forces Us To Re-Evaluate the Violent Return of God in Revelation