From Mark Charles, a man of Navajo and Dutch American descent, who is currently running for President of the United States of America. On May 4, 1493, the year after Columbus sailed the ocean blue, Pope Alexander VI issued the papal bull offering a spiritual validation for European conquest, “that in our times especially the … Continue reading Christopher Columbus Brought White Supremacy to America
I re-wrote the earliest stories of the Bible…but without God in them. Now before you light your torches, brandish your swords, set your Twitter thumbs to cancel. Please, just let me explain. The beginning of the Bible is a tough look for the ancient Israelite God Yahweh. Like a dysfunctional father who wasn’t prepared to … Continue reading Why I re-wrote the Bible Without God in the Story
What has remained consistent in these 5 years, is that one after another, videos and accounts of aggegious violence against Black people have surfaced. What is more, they have been continually met by White people at large, and Christians specifically with a “you cannot lump all officers into one category.” And while this is true … Continue reading Why So Many White Christians Refuse to Believe In Police Brutality
1. His story never added up (ever), but I believe victims and knowing Jussie and what he has historically stood for I gave him the benefit of doubt.
2. We can hold Jussie accountable and still be allies to the causes he champions and the marginalized identities he represents.
3. Hate crimes against people of color and LGBTQIA+ are at an all time high in the era of MAGA; that fact doesn’t change because of one man’s possible abuse of that fact.
4. The Chicago Police Department (CPD) is corrupt, especially when it comes to black men; yes. But this corruption usually rears its ugly head when CPD is implicated in the crime. CPD didnt gain anything by falsifying information in this case where police were not involved in the attack. Sometimes people are just in the wrong. This will be on Jussie and Jussie alone if he is found guilty.
5. CPD (and police everywhere) should keep this same energy when white people call 911 and file false reports on unsuspecting black people just existing while black.
6. CPD should also dedicate these same resources (more than 20 detectives) to solving the more than 80% of unsolved murders in Chicago.
7. Not to play armchair shrink, but if Jussie’s injuries allegedly sustained during the attacked were instead self-inflicted as is being reported, Jussie needs a psych evaluation.
8. Even if those reports are unfounded, Jussie still might need a psych eval just because…
9. If the evidence against Jussie is too much to mount a successful defense, he’ll probably plead down to a lesser misdemeanor charge and get probation, but he’s going to have to pay some restitution to the City of Chicago.
10. White celebrities do stupid stuff like this all the time (see Ryan Lochte) and we celebrate them years later at the Oscars like it never happened. We also don’t jail them. Jussie is black and queer; he won’t enjoy that same kind of grace, but I hope he gets right with himself and comes back stronger than ever.
Five years ago my niece Delaney was born. I started with the sentence, “Five years ago my niece Delaney was born.” Note the lack of caveats and clarifications in that sentence. Delaney has Down syndrome, but that fact is a footnote in the story of her birth, just as the chemical imbalance in my brain … Continue reading People with Down Syndrome Remind Us What We Should Truly Value
I am a Christian who happens to be bisexual, brown, and enjoys having sex with multiple partners. On the one hand, this really isn’t any one’s business but my own. What I do in the bedroom with other consenting adults, should not have any bearing on other aspects of my life. So why am I … Continue reading I’m a Bi-Sexual Brown Christian & I Had to Learn to Love Sex